I have talked before about website optimization, but often get asked what to test. Here is a list of things you can test on your website to see if you can get better results:
- Call to action buttons – you can test the size, shape, color, placement on the page, and copy on the button.
- Photos – After years of working in the travel industry, I have seen first hand how changing a photo can make a huge difference to the end user.
- Video – Will adding a video to your site increase conversion? You may not know until you try.
- Copy – What you say and how you say it can have a huge impact on a potential customer. (A hint on this one: most of the time, less is more!)
- Deals/promotions – Some special offers may be more appealing than others. Changing a special promotion could create lift.
- Page navigation – If your site has a lot going on, it might be best to send people to a landing page that only focuses on the sale or generating the lead.
- Testimonials – If you have some testimonials from clients, you can test some of them against each other to see if they can give you a lift.
- Overall design work – Having trouble deciding between two design concepts? Test them against each other.
- Background color/image – May seem insignificant, but it’s not.
- Headline – This is one of the first things a person will notice and can make a huge difference.
- Popups – This one is good to test with and without. You can also test size, color, copy, and location on the page.
I hope this list helps to give you some ideas. If you think I have left anything important off the list, please let me know in the comments.